<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, December 24, 2004

Colwyn Bay 

In a new and hopefully not precedent-setting twist to the continuing saga of my restaurant malfunctions, I set fire to my hand last night!

We went to a recently-opened curry place in town, the Ujala., which I really enjoyed. Very good meal - one of the best curries I've had in York.

One of the "selling points" (for everyone else, at least!) was that you get free sambuccas after the meal, and they do the full 3 coffee beans and setting it alight business. I'd somehow managed to end up sitting in the most confined seat, such that it involved some sort of musical chairs game to let me out, and took several minutes to reach the toilet. So I ended up getting my sambucca last.

Naturally, I wasn't particularly bothered about this, as I was just going to pass it on to someone else anyway, but as the waiter, at full arm stretch, passed it over to me, I obviously didn't quite get hold of the glass properly, and I ended up somehow pouring some of it on my hand, some on the table and fortunately narrowly avoided pouring the rest into my lap. And it was all on fire.

Now my initial reaction, I think, was "Ooh pretty." Alcohol burning always makes a pretty nearly-not-there flame - I love watching the Christmas pudding when it's alight. Next thought went something like "The table cloth's on fire - quick, put it out ... with my hand ... that's also on fire. Ow!" I then started trying to blow all the flames out like a madman, and got them all out pretty quickly - I doubt the whole thing lasted more than 3 seconds or so. Then I went to run my hand under the cold tap, which was very cold indeed!

I now have a little red patch on my finger to remind me for a few days!

Other recent events :

  • Received my first Christmas present, which I'll try to post a photo of later on - a book entitled The Runaway Beard, complete with said runaway beard.
  • Was told that in order to succeed as a manager, I needed to adopt a "more mean and moody style". Which I'm not sure what to do with at the moment.
  • Sloped off to play squash at 4.15 yesterday, possibly the earliest I've left work all year, even when Goran was playing his last match at Wimbledon. I beat Neil in a nice close to the year's squash, with one being a 9-0 game.
  • Royally pissed off everyone I've talked to for the last few days, when I explain why I'm not off for long over the Christmas period.
  • Got royally pis's'ed off my'self at inappropriate us'age of the Engli'sh language. Extraneou's apos'trophe's, invented word's (irradicable instead of ineradicable!), commas all over the show. Having decent grammar skills is depressing.
  • Possibly killed our team sea monkeys by not feeding them often enough.
  • Nearly achieved the year-end CNPS goal of getting 1/7th of the way through. 2 more to go...

    0 comments
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?