<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Resolution? 

I think we have an answer!

I forgot yesterday to post about my new no. 4 restaurant malfunction, so here's a quick summary.

Yesterday was really lovely and warm, so we decided to go for lunch somewhere without a beer garden and with oppressive low dark ceilings, somewhat reminiscent of a broom cupboard in winter - the Golden Lion. Someone who will remain nameless, but he knows who he is, collected the money for the 4 of us and went to order. Time passed - discussion topics included how big a boat is, whether homebrewed peach chardonnay is better or worse to drink than gnat's piss, how to hide a child's non-vegetarianism, and how to use a trampoline as part of a marriage guidance counselling session.

In fact, we were having such fun discussing varied topics that we didn't notice the non-arrival of our food for about 40 minutes - it was only when I spotted a couple receiving their food who I'd particularly noticed coming in a long time after we had done. At this point, much berating and haranguing of Anonymous occurred, until he finally went over to ask the bar lady (the gorgeous one, not the ugly fat one) what had happened to our food. We received no answer, but approximately 5 minutes later, after what, at a distance, looked like a fairly heated conversation between the gorgeous one and the ugly fat one, and a hurried phone call to (we hoped) the kitchen, our food arrived - nearly 50 minutes after we'd ordered it.

However, that's not the end of the malfunction. I'd ordered salmon and cream cheese on focaccia. Focaccia it was not. It might have qualified as a ciabatta several weeks before, when it was fresh. Now, it barely came under the heading of edible. I was planning on eating it with my hands (rather than with a knife and fork) but I was seriously worried about it re-chipping my fake tooth. Instead I had to wrestle with my non-pointed knife to cut through a former bread roll that probably hit about 8.3 on Moh's Scale, and then I had to eat it after that.

I will not be returning there for food. I wonder if I can end up knocking every restaurant in York off my can-eat-there list before Lint can get his beer challenge sorted!

2 comments
Comments:
1. Yes, they do. And some of it's mine.
2. The other alternative bread involved garlic. All things considered, I think I still chose the right one!
3. It's not a very good list - for one thing, it doesn't really exist - but if it did, Alley Cats, the Golden Lion, anything on George Hudson Street except the Thai place and Kites (which has reopened as something else, so might come back off, at least temporarily) would all be on it.
 
I like alley cats. especially as the other year when we went to the races and the italian near the varsity didnt like Daf's booking, mainly as they dont do bookings, everywhere was full, but Alley cats let us sit in the courtyard - table for 10, great weather and all.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?