<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Number 5 is alive 

I've finally made it up to 5 items of restaurant malfunctions (after reading the Pulse the other day though, it appears I might have spelled restrawnt wrongly for a long time).

New place which opened up a couple of months ago - Williams Café Bar. Has looked by turns rubbish and interesting - one of the rubbish times was when they were advertising aubergine cooked "in a citrus garlic egg wash," the latter word of which I'm sure shouldn't normally be used to refer to cookery.

Quite surprised to get a table for 8 of us at 9 on a Friday race night, but get one we did. And Friday night is Steak Night at Williams Café Bar!

First off, we ordered our starters and main courses. Then the waitress (who, I should stress, was very good about all of this) came back to apologise but she'd given us yesterday's menu, so some of us would have to re-order. After this, she went off, then came back another few minutes later (still without the water we'd asked for initially) to apologise further that there was only one rack of lamb, so ChinchillaHunter and Iasonas would have to fight over it - unfortunately there wasn't enough room on the table for them to arm-wrestle (my money was on ChinchillaHunter), so they amicably decided to split the rack between them and order another steak to also be split.

Iasonas : But how big's a rack going to be?
Chip : I don't know ... 34D?


The final bit of fun was when the bill arrived. She'd only put 9 items of food on there (having completely missed the Queen's-English Southern-style Naaaaachos, and a couple of others) leaving us with a bill that, split 8 ways, came to less than the cost of several of the main courses alone. So we left an apparently rather large tip, after making it up to what we thought the bill ought to be. Then we fled, pausing only to allow Tom to correct the spelling of tomato on one of the menus with a damp serviette.

I should also state that I really enjoyed the food - very good steak, if not quite blue as I asked for it, it was at least definitely rare. I don't think many of the others were too impressed though.

1 comments
Comments:
I enjoyed it. I think that comedy happenings were just teething problems, like at the new Argos I went to yesterday morning.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?