<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 14, 2004

Alley Spats 

I went for lunch to Alley Cats today. It's somewhere I've been wanting to go to for quite some time - the building and the decor inside look really good, for a start, and I'd heard pretty good things about the food too.

Sadly, I was disappointed. We went as a group of 6, and the head waitress told us we'd have to sit at two separate tables. When we got upstairs there were 4 or 5 free tables for 4, so we did the sensible thing and started to drag 2 together. One of the waitresses came over to give us a hand. So we sat down and read through the menu.

About 5 minutes later, the head waitress came back upstairs to serve someone else's food, and said to us rather snidely "I'd prefer you not to move the tables. I told you you'd have to sit apart." To which my natural response was "Pardon?!" "I'd rather you didn't move the tables around." "Well we're hardly taking up much-needed seats, and your waitress gave us a hand, so perhaps you'd best tell your staff that too." By this time she was heading back downstairs - despite wishing to tell us off, she was obviously not happy about sticking around to discuss it!

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to continue my fight, as she never came back upstairs. (I also thought probably best not to antagonise her till after we were served!) I could really have done with a proper rant today too. As an aside, the food was pretty average - nothing you can't buy anywhere else in York, in many cases for much less.

I did have one good meal out today though. I just wish I could remember the name of the restaurant! It's an Italian on Micklegate (which hardly reduces the odds of picking the right one) and has recently been renovated - looks very white in colour scheme. Well worth a visit - if those directions are good enough!

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?