<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

More Furniture Tales 

I'd heard tales of the problems people had obtaining furniture for new houses and flats, but I figured they wouldn't affect me when I moved, that they were just the odd horror story and not typical.

However, I've got one myself now! I've bought a bookcase from The Gift Company. I wanted it delivered. This was the easy part.

Firstly, "Head Office" was not accepting orders for this range of furniture at New Year, and I was asked to return at the end of January. Not necessarily the best company strategy, to turn away customer orders with no real reason.

Secondly, once I finally did place the order, the delivery date was dropped back a week because my bookcase was missed out of the delivery container.

Thirdly, the normal delivery guy they use wants to charge #40 to move the bookcase approximately 3/4 mile to my flat from the house. I refused that! However, I have to get the bookcase out of the shop as soon as possible, because it's blocking about 1/3 of their display area.

So I asked about alternative delivery people. Apparently there's one who'll do it for #12-15. This sounds better. However, he wants to check out the bookcase first - for what I'm not sure - before he'll guarantee delivery. And I've still got to find someone to help me carry it up the stairs to the flat - that appears to be above and beyond what I'm paying for there.

Enough ranting. Just about finished off my project plan at work, and it'll be issued tomorrow, so things are looking a little more manageable now.

I'm also going to try to give up the coffee again - I managed about 2 weeks last time, then had a sleepless night and needed some to wake me up for a meeting. But I've now discovered a cure for sleepless nights though - ski socks! I've worn them the last 5 nights in bed and have slept 7 hours straight every night. Can't remember the last time I managed that.

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?