<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, February 06, 2004

Papillote (n) 

I thought I knew all the French cookery words. And then one turns up I didn't know. Because of this, I made a friend eat paper this evening. Sorry, Rich! (And now it's on the internet, it must be a true apology.)

A papillote is "an oiled paper or foil wrapper in which certain foods are baked." Quite logically (and as it turns out, correctly) I thought it was derived from the word "papillon", meaning butterfly. Sadly, I continued this chain of logic by assuming it meant the fish would be served butterfly-style.

When it came wrapped in, apparently, filo pastry, I thought "OK, wrong, but you can still eat the pastry wrapper." In my defence, the lighting was poor.

I should work on not sounding so authoritative all the time!

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?