<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 13, 2004

Bands ... Lots of Bands 

7 in 3 days, to be precise. Here they all are, with mini-reviews (in some cases, micro-reviews), in reverse order of quality :

7 Trachtenburg Family Slideshow Players - what the hell was I thinking? A nerdy dad, big-haired mum and 10-year-old daughter play "indie vaudeville conceptual rock pop-art" they've written to go with the slides they show in the background that they'd bought from jumble sales. Complete toss.
6 Ava - a girl singing covers of female solo singers. Very good voice. Very bad songs.
5 Sixty6 - possibly being a little unfair here as I only heard 1.3 songs by them, but I have heard them before. Not bad, but I think I caught their not-so-good song as they were winding down at the end of their set.
4 The Open - not as good as I thought they'd be. Most of the songs were fairly samey, and not helped by the band being unsure when to stop playing them - one went on for 10 minutes
3 Motu One - (sorry you're only third Drew, but think of it as something to aspire to!) OK, so I know the band, but they are good. Outdoors music (at the York Peace Festival) is always good, especially on such a sunny day.
2 Thirteen Senses - very good. I've heard 4 or 5 of their songs from Lint, and they only played one that I recognised, but the others were excellent. Really liked "Lead Us" - might be time to dust off my album-purchasing shoes and use them for only the second time this year. Another band to try to find the sheet music for...
1 Kid Carpet - words fail me here. I think everyone would agree that his first song caused the reaction "Uh?" Then his genius shone through. Difficult to describe properly - Helen came closest with "a man bouncing round on stage using too many samples but getting away with it." First time I've seen anyone at Fibbers using a childs "My First Guitar" and a Simon game in their act. Wonderful use of samples from Van Halen's Jump and the Chockablock theme tune. And I got a signed EP, although sadly it's only in the pterodactyl cover, not the stegosaurus one. Lint wants to have his babies.

CNPS side-note : had my best day ever yesterday with 5 cars. It was nearly 10, but sadly the 88 parked near Tsuki & Dom's place had mived by the time I got back there again. Soon be into the hundreds.

2 comments
Comments:
Re: TFSP - you're just jealous because you didn't get Rachel's autograph :-)
 
Hmmm...yes that must be it.

Actually I think we might have been better off watching the band instead - Brendan's off sick and Tom and I have both had a bad cold, so it could have come from going to the back and sitting on the couch.

Yorkshire Evening Press didn't think much of them either - "Go back to the festivals in the States where you belong!" was one quote.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?