<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Dancing with Strangers 

While walking along the pavement (sidewalk to non-Brits) today, I half-saw someone ahead of me walking straight towards me. On auto-pilot, my feet moved me a foot or two to the left, at almost exactly the same time his feet moved the same distance to his right. Leaving us in pretty much the same position as before, except we're now both in the road.

So I do what he did, move to my right. Unfortunately, he copied my earlier actions too. OK, still heading for a collision, but at least we're not going to get run over now.

This sidestepping happened a further twice before we got to about 3 feet from each other, at which point we're both smiling up at the ludicrosity (my blog, my words!) of the situation. Time for a last-chance solution to the problem.

You may have guessed what happened then - we both stopped dead waiting for the other one to walk past us. Both of us burst out laughing! I did a little half-bow and flourish as if holding open a door, he starts walking past me still giggling, and I head off into town, with a smile on my face.

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?