<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Happy Days 

I still have a job, which is good news. Now I have to state a preference for whether it stays the same job, or whether I move on to something different, and then fight that out with everyone else who's in the same position. That'll be fun.

But now I definitely get to go to see the tennis (and other things that I'll be doing out there - that's the only one that I really care about right now though!) Assuming I book some flights, get a visa, book hotels, travel insurance, organise clothing... (this latter not obvious - I live in England, which intersperses one afternoon of weak sunshine every 3 years or so with otherwise continual leaden skies, so I own no suitable clothes for visiting Australia for 6 weeks in the height of their summer. Plus I'm planning a few days of skiing in Canada on the way back, and I'm not sure I want to lug a pair of salopettes and a skiing jacket all the way round the world!)

Planning skills are not my forte.

New place for lunch today. Dusk - only recently opened, and I'd quite liked the look of the menu, so I, as Lunchtime Dictator for today, decided we'd go there. Very good. I had a deli plate, which was some bread and oil together with any of about 30 cooked meats, cheeses, nibbles, dips, etc. Really good - I had goat's cheese, broad bean and coriander cakes, jerk chicken and marinaded red peppers. Unfortunately for others, my ordering jinx struck slightly to the left of me today. Neal's food was inedible - what they appeared to have done was to take a chicken breast, wrap it in Parma ham, then mistaken it for a conker and done all the traditional things to it to harden the shell. Which worked very well in this case - he couldn't cut into it at all. Still, he got a free sandwich out of it.

Will still include it on the list of possibles - difficult to screw up the deli plate thing, and also hard to exhaust the combinations available there.

4 comments
Comments:
Don't forget that Dusk had a man with a really loud drill! He was like drill-man or something. I'm glad he's not my dentist.
 
I had forgotten about that actually. And the man drying the tables and chairs off in preparation for that hoped-for sunny afternoon. Silly him - we had it in 2002.
 
I'd hire kit in Canada if I was you. The visa to Oz is easy its all eletronic and automatic, the travel agents will organise for you. Sure you know this anyway.

Can I suggest you make sure you have your passport and that it's ina safe place. You still have time to get a new one if you can't find it.

Anyway where in Australia are you going?
 
I was being a bit facetious about the ski clothes. Most likely I'll buy some new ones out there - I do need them, the current ones will be celebrating their 10th birthday while I'm in Australia!

Didn't know about the electronic visa - when I went in 1990 there was an extremely convoluted process to get visas, involving my Dad and me going to London to the embassy to get them. This sounds a lot easier. And yes, I have my passport in a safe place - can see it from where I'm sitting typing this!

See elsewhere for itinerary.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?