<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 11, 2004

The Bet 

I was in a bit of a funny mood last night. Almost ended up in a fight with GeeDee, AFAICT because I was "smiling at him", "toying with him" and saying that while I had reasonably decent reflexes he probably could push me over if I wasn't paying attention. There was much stroking of beards going on too, and not enough people giving birth. I also managed to pay the most I've ever paid for a round of drinks - £58.30, although it wasn't my money (up from about £50 on my birthday earlier in the year).

I also ended up having a bet with Iasonas. The details of the bet are based on which of us is older on our respective qualification days, and the bits I can remember are as follows :

  • The person who is older on qualifying has to CORRECTION drink 4 pints of Guinness bought for him by the person who is younger.END CORRECTION
  • If we're both exactly the same age, we both buy each other (and drink!) 4 pints of Guinness.
  • If I'm younger, then Iasonas has to grow a beard.

    This last condition does seem a little one-sided, but I can drive a hard bargain, and we have shaken hands on it, so we're stuck with it now.

    There are some bits I'm not sure about, though, and they're all Tsuki's fault! I vaguely remember something being added about a second beard, and also some foul-sounding Baileys/whisky combo, but I'm not certain either of these were pertinent to the bet. I will happily correct the above if either of you can provide documentary proof that we agreed any other conditions.

    The critical date for the results is 17/06/2005, but that's actually based on all years being the same length. Given it's likely to be tight, I think this needs to be checked closely, so we should look at exact age in days on the results day.

    Only problem is, there's no date for results on the Institute website yet.

    3 comments
  • Comments:
    The bet was as follows:
    If Iasonas has an age which is less than the age (to the day) at which Chip qualified, Chip will have to drink the four pints of Guinness bought for him by Iasonas.
    If Iasonas has an age which is greater than the age at which Chip qualified then Iasonas will have to both drink four pints of Guinness bought by Chip, and grow an equivalent beard to Chip's.
    If their age is the same (Are you going to work out your ages in days? This was not specified) then they both have to buy and drink four pints of Guinness.
    I was both there and almost sober, and so can vouch for said bet!
     
    Think you shoudl let Tsuki be the judge. Does sound a little one-sided. He could at least have got you to grow a pony tail or something! Are you encouraged to use dirty tactics to put him off? eg phone him up every hour the night before the exam???
     
    OK, back to front, thanks - I've now corrected the post. This comment is here so that Tsuki doesn't look like a complete nonce!

    Yes, we will be going for age in days - as I said, I think it could actually be down just a day or two, so we'd need to allow for leap years, etc. - Excel can do this pretty easily though!

    Bertie, I've already had a ponytail, and have photos to prove it - ask me next time you're around. I'm not sure I could countenance doing something so unprofessional as what you suggest. I don't think I'd be above putting pictures of Colin Firth through his letterbox the week before the exam though...
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?