<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Questions, Questions, Questions 

Today's been very fun. I've been interviewing again - which is always a lark no matter how time-pressured or desperately underprepared you are. Not enough coffee was provided, though, and given my superb skill at catching colds, I think I'll probably not be enjoying next weekend much, given the state of one of my interviewees.

Memorable moments include :

  • Receiving my promised pictures of Cathy Godbold as part of my interviewing pack. Luckily Nick isn't the quietest person around, so I heard him saying what he was planning to do beforehand. Bursting out laughing in the middle of the group discussion might have looked a tad unprofessional.

  • The black file.

  • "Most people would have just used paper."

  • "So when did you realise something was wrong and had to change?" "Well, failing my driving test 3 times was a big clue."

  • "Oooh...like a chipolata? Do I mean that word? No, I mean ... hanging, hitting, sweets....piñata!"

  • "I wouldn't say no to her..."

  • Whistling Bob's Teen Choir Rejects

  • Most unexpectedly appropriate use of sorbet and garlic mushrooms in an interview.

  • The electronic diary ID of one of the prospective candidates.


  • In other tenuously-related news, Lint and I did reasonably well at The Swan quiz this evening (much better than Iasonas, GeeDee et al), but not quite well enough to win. I'm a little bit annoyed about the palindrome question - name the 7-letter word which is the longest palindrome in the English language. His required answer was RACECAR, but I came up with ROTATOR, which is a valid English word too. There was some suggestion that ROTAVATOR would be a 9-letter one, but that doesn't appear to be in the dictionary.

    3 comments
    Comments:
    Weird that rotavator is a word and I checked google to make sure how it was spelled. Appears to be lots of sites for it but its not in dictionary.com (underlined in google search criteria).

    Anyway yuo may be interested in
    http://www.norvig.com/palindrome.html

    How about tattarrattat many sites suggest that the OED has it as the longest palindrome. Although not in dictionary.com and not bought up when searching oed.com. I bet you're amazed I can find a dictionary online!
     
    I'm not surprised you can find one; I'm surprised you know what it's for though!
     
    Another quote for you "I wouldn't say no to her". Not sure who said that though.
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?