<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Random Ramblings 

Sometimes a word has two meanings. And other times, two words have the same meaning. E.g. edible and eatable. Or flammable and inflammable. Or ineradicable and irradicable :

Irradicable - impossible to uproot or destroy; ineradicable
Ineradicable - not able to be destroyed or rooted out

I was slightly premature in writing off irradicable as a word. It actually is one, albeit rather uncommon (I'm basing that on the fact that I've never heard of it, which may be slightly arrogant, but still...)

English is a wonderfully redundant language sometimes!

One of my favourite books of all time (and no, Badfriend, you can't borrow this one, my copy's too fragile), Emergence by David Palmer has, as one of its meta-plot devices (I can't think of any other way of describing that!) that the English language is approximately 40% redundant. The author uses this to compress what would normally be a 500-page novel into around 300 pages. It's extremely cleverly-written.

In other news, I have achieved my lesser CNPS goal of getting to 143 before the end of the year, and I've finished all but one of the storyline missions for GTA San Andreas - this last I should be able to sort out easily enough before I go away.

I'm also going to an extra place on my trip now - spoke to Adrian (my friend in Singapore) at the weekend, and he's planned a trip to Kuala Lumpur for us. I think his main intention is to go shopping there, but I'm quite happy to go along for the ride!

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?