<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Jack of Clubs 

(corrected)

This is not the most comfortable place I've ever blogged from (standing up at a terminal in Adelaide airport), and all the keys are horrible and in the wrong place, so I'm not going to worry about spelling or typos - sue me. I'll be in Melbourne in less than 3 hours!

All sorts of little bits and pieces that I wanted to record here

  • Being mistaken for an Italian to the extent of the tour guide giving me a leaflet in Italian, and asking me (in Italian!) where in Italy I came from.
  • Being correctly spotted as a Scouser by Mark, the Aussie coach driver, within 30 seconds of getting on the bus. Now what's your excuse for continually getting it wrong, Lint?!
  • The much-harder-than-it-should-be search for a copy of The Confusion - they have Quicksilver, System of the World, Cryptonomicon, etc., but no Confusion!
  • The equally hard search for a postcard with an image of Sir Donald Bradman on it, to satisfy one of only two specific postcard requests I had. Time will tell whether I succeeded on that one...
  • Our parent company sponsoring the Australian Open ballboys and girls, and forcing them to wear a delightful turquoise and orange uniform, complete with silly floppy-eared hat.
  • Flies. Lots of flies. And they seem to like me. A lot.
  • Pam Ayers. Oh how I wish I hadn't had to sit through that!
  • Going to the shark museum in Glenelg, and taking lots of photos for my shark-mad brother.
  • Two unexpectedly-located rainbows - one of them photographed, one of them not.
  • A great thunderstorm.
  • Juice. Lots of juice. The flies like that, too...

    And finally some quotes that have lightened up my week.

  • "We will not be overruling the machine."
  • "You can have just this beautiful experience."
  • "You're very good at tennis, Tim." (shouted out in between the first and second services of a double fault!)


  • 3 comments
    Comments:
    Waterstones has copies of The Confusion, here in York. Does that help?
     
    No. But Dymock's in Melbourne did, and also a copy of "The Fifth Sacred Thing" which I've been looking for for years!
     
    Postcard request was satisfied! TVM.
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?