<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Two of Diamonds 

(again, I think!)

Day before yesterday officially marked the halfway point of my actual holiday. So it's downhill from here - literally, once I reach Canada! For those of you that wanted a party at mine, you'vve only got 24 days left...

I like Melbourne. It's a very cosmopolitan city, quite similar to Paris or other European cities in many ways. Loads of pavement cafes, wide avenues and lots of people. What I don't like here so much is the weather. Anyone who managed to catch any of the tennis from Tuesday or Wednesday will know what it's been like - they had to close the roof and stick on the air-con on Tuesday, it was so hot. Since the Australian news follows the commendable practice of telling you what the weather was today, as well as what it should be tomorrow, I happen to know it hit 36 on Tuesday, and 37 yesterday. In other words, hotter that I was yesterday!

Today, my fourth-most-anticipated day of the holiday. Women's semis. I get to see Davenport, Williams (S), Nathalie Dechy, and hear Sharapova today. Then the men's semi that's the repeat of last year's final - Safin and Federer (possibly the best match I'll get to see). And, if I can be bothered sticking round for the late night match, Martina Navratilova. And this is only tennis day one!

Went on a fun day tour yesterday - a steam train ride, then a walk through a rainforest, then wine-tasting (no photos - sorry!) and finally another wildlife sanctuary, where I saw my first duck-billed platypus. They're very ugly animals. I can see why the 19th century scientists thought it was a hoax animal! Going penguin-spotting next Tuesday, and the Great Ocean Road on Monday, in an open-topped minibus, which sounds really fun - I've been wanting to see some of the sights along here since my parents drove the whole road from Adelaide to Melbourne a few years ago (search for Twelve Apostles or Loch Ard Gorge if you're interested, or wait for my photos!)

Finally, I would like to offer my unreserved apologies to all the flies of South Australia, who, by comparison to their Victorian cousins, were positively restrained in their enthusiasm for greeting me.

2 comments
Comments:
You look to be having some great games. The womens semis must have been goreat. two really tight games especially the williams-sharapova one. And Safin, Federer doesn't look too bad (currently Safin break up in 5th).
If this is the 4th most anticipated day the others have a lot to live up to.

I now the trip you went on, wine tasting is good. Although I didnt do the train. GOR will be cool - watch out for Bells beach, koalas in trees and wild kangaroos. We also saw some echidna's on the side of the road. Its well worth paying for the helicopter ride at the 12 apostles, not too expensive if a little short.
 
Davenport-Dechy was surprisingly poor, although possibly that was just in comparison to Williams-Sharapova. And as you know by my other post, Safin-Federer was not bad either...

Not sure I'll get to do the helicopter ride, unfortunately. It's not mentioned as an option, and it looks to me like the timing of the day is pretty tight as it is (about 450 km round trip inside 12 hours, sounds very packed!)
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?