<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Ten of Spades 

Grrr. Having to re-type this whole damn post.

Well, I couldn't not post in every country I've been to (except Malaysia), could I? Plus my brother has decided to go home now, instead of give me a lift to the airport tomorrow morning, so I'm at a bit of a loose end. The rest of the day is likely to consist mainly of reading, eating and sleeping. I'm actually getting a little bored of this travelling lark, now that I'll be home soon. 24 hours and I'll be on my last flight, from Heathrow back to Manchester; another 2 hours and I'll be lying in my old bed at my parent's place.

It's been good to see Phil again. Not seen him since about May 2002, I think. I surprised him a little by knowing my way around better than he did though! This is my 4th or 5th visit though, so to be expected. He's really enjoying his life over here, and, irritatingly, is earning the same as me, only without having had to sit all those exams!

Had my second and hopefully final luggage-related comedy on the way to Boston (the first has been omitted for security reasons). I had 55 minutes to change planes at Toronto on Tuesday night. The 55 minutes broke down into :
  • 10 minutes getting from the plane to the luggage carousel to collect my suitcase, which you now appear to have to do on every flight.
  • 5 minutes waiting for the luggage to appear on said carousel before the tannoy announced that all US-bound luggage would now be appearing in a different terminal.
  • 15 minutes getting to said carousel, approx. 10 of which were waiting for the bus to fill up enough for the driver to consider it worth his while driving over there.
  • 30 minutes queuing for the US immigration officials to see me.
  • 5 minutes justifying why I had a transit form still in my passport from the previous week when I was changing planes in LA.
  • 5 minutes running to the baggage inspection area, getting scanned, re-checking in the suitcase, running to the very furthest gate from the scanners (Murphy strikes again!)

    The astute amongst you may have noticed that this adds up to significantly more than 55. I can assure you that all the passengers on the plane certainly did, and let me know that by glaring at me for most of the flight. New record for being last on a flight - arrival at gate 12 minutes after take-off time. (Up from arriving dead on take-off time, when the Tube took 2 hours to get me from Gloucester Road to Heathrow, on a Sunday evening.)

    As a consequence of its position in the above timeline, my suitcase didn't make it onto the flight (probably just as well - it would have been ashamed of being stared at by all the other case). So I had to wear the same clothes out to a Chinese restaurant last night that I'd been wearing for 2 days, and running in for about 10 minutes of, too! Delightful. The luggage finally arrived at about 8pm yesterday, or about 22 hours after I did!

    0 comments
  • Comments: Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?