<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Conversations with Dead-Drunk People 

  • The derivation of the word "rare" as applied to steaks and other meats - it comes from the Anglo-Saxon word hrere, meaning "lightly boiled," and first appeared in use in the 1700s. As for where that word comes from, I've no idea.
  • Are there any attractive Scottish famous girls? Kelly Macdonald (for it was she), who starred in Trainspotting, and Daniela Nardini from This Life were the only two we could come up with between 5 blokes. Surely there must be more.
  • Where do the Barbarians rugby team hail from? Everywhere! In today's match, there were players from South Africa, France, Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Samoa, England, Scotland, Ireland and even Wales. I didn't look very hard, but I couldn't find any rules or criteria for membership of the team - looking at the current structure, I suspect nationality is not a significant factor!
  • Last night's chat in the 3LM (to which we seem to be able to go once more - it's now mad-woman-free, although we did see Des Bile Bean, who'd popped back from Singapore for a quick pint). One of us was extremely drunk (guess which), but he said a lot of sensible and helpful things. Not sure what to do with them quite yet, but I'm going to have to give them some thought.
  • Last Friday's ongoing talk with D-Something. Which was just odd.
  • The holes to be found in certain men's toilets are called "glory holes," and they can be put to a variety of uses, none of which will be further discussed here.

    Unrelatedly, I've added a new no. 5 to the restaurant malfunction list. No doubt I'll soon have ten...

    I could have added Fiesta Mehicana to the list too (tried to book a table for tonight, wasn't allowed because there were less than 10 of us, bloke said come along anyway, we won't be full at 6.30, went along anyway, they were full) but I'm not sure it really counts. Not a very good one anyway - I'm sure there will be better ones than that in the future!

    3 comments
  • Comments:
    Yes, she's OK. But that's still only 3!
     
    I can tell you where the Barbarians come from if you want... I've had to tell others previously. A few more won't hurt.
     
    Erm...I know where they come from, just not why. See point 3 above. If you know why, I'm all ears.

    (Although if, as it sounds, you're D-Something, I expect it might hurt someone!)
     
    Post a Comment

    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?