<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Return of the Chip 

Not sure how long I'll stick with this again, but I expect I'll be posting a little more frequently than once every 9.5 weeks. Since I don't particularly want to remember most of August or September, I'll jump straight in with what's been going on since last Saturday.

Yesterday I returned from a week's stay in Cornwall. And a very good week it was too, despite the intermittent rubbish weather. I've done about 25 miles of walking, spread over 4 days (and managed to avoid the rain every time!), and I also went to the Eden Project, which was opened after the last time I went to Cornwall - well worth a visit, but pick a nice sunny day (which, by a stroke of luck, I managed to do!) Plenty of photos now loaded up on Flickr, for anyone who cares - my favourite one follows this paragraph. I was a little disappointed that the Commando Death Bicycle ride was closed for the autumn.

Plantscape

It was good to visit some of the places where I spent my childhood summers. The little bookshop in Padstow (no weblink unfortunately) is still going strong - imagine a room about 20ft square stacked from floor to ceiling with books, some on shelves, some not, with barely enough space to squeeze sideways between the stacks. I used to save up my pocket money and not buy any books before going away in the summer just so I'd have an excuse to go and buy some there.

Petrol prices - grrr! I've kind of lost track of what petrol costs, as I've used my car very little this year - I'd only filled up 7 times since December before last week, and 4 of those were on my 2 trips to Scotland. Doing just over 1200 miles this week has now increased that to 11. One petrol station I saw in a rather remote part of Cornwall was £1.06 per litre! I managed to find a station near where I was staying charging "only" 90p per litre.

The walk I did on the Roseland, round St Anthony's Head, was one of the best walks I've done in England. I managed to have a beach totally to myself, where I had lunch in blazing sunshine - that set the tone for the rest of the walk! I also saw plenty of wild (some red!) squirrels, a little field mouse and a number of lizards. Artificial sights of interest included a lighthouse, gun batteries, Pendennis Castle at Falmouth and Goonhilly in the distance. Another photo ensues...

Porthbeor Beach

I only had 2 pasties the whole time I was there!

1 comments
Comments:
Ooh, new post! Suppose that means I ought to make the effort to do the same.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?