<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

...and the fire is so delightful 

An amalgam of several partial posts that never quite made it to the ready-to-post stage - so here they all are, rolled into one.

Got my ski boots, finally, in all their silver, orange and translucent glory - picture below. I need to try them out soon. Very soon. Iasonas is already wanting to take his back - he's not happy. Funny, that - not like him at all...

Ski Boots

We narrowly missed winning the Swan quiz last week. After more than a little help from a very drunk man, we appeared to be joint first on the scoring, and if Tom had bothered to check my answers, or I'd been a little more confident with my answers for the music round, we'd have been in first place. Sadly, though, we still wouldn't have won, as another team had been mismarked by 3 points (!), and they'd have won regardless. Still, we'd have got the 2nd place prize of a £25 drinks voucher.

Thursday was notable for an amusing quote - "You're really evil walking down the street. You should smile more." - and for me not repeating last year's self-immolation event. The Ujala was as good as ever.

Saw an amazing sunbow in Harrogate on Friday. It was a clear blue sky with a strong but low sun - full arch of a "rainbow" but without any rain. I've seen a few small arcs of ones before, but this was something else again. Fortunately, for once, I was sat in traffic jam, so I had plenty of comfortable spectating!

I've just watched the new Doctor in his first episode, and I was quite impressed. I did enjoy his "Who am I?" speech in particular. There were a few annoying bits - over-use of Welsh people (never a good thing), the continual aim of Russell T Davies to get the phrase "Doctor who?" into his scripts, and the veiled references/adverts for Torchwood. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing more of Mr Tennant, and Sarah Jane appears to be reappearing in a future episode, so that'll be good. Having it be a little less politically-motivated during the next series, and feeling less like a constant jabbing at Tony Blair (e.g. "launched within 45 seconds" last year, "don't you think (s)he looks tired?" tonight), would be a good thing - it's not meant to be a satire.

I managed to work Goldbach's Conjecture into a joke about peas. I was quite pleased with that one.

Went round York today in the snow, taking a few pictures. Here are my favourites :

Precentor's Court
Museum Gardens
Museum Gardens

And lastly but not leastly, apologies to Tom for marring his unbirthday dinner somewhat. At least you had 5 other friends there to give you cards.

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?