<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, November 21, 2005

I Command You To Jump 

All right, I shall...

The indescribably wonderful Kid Carpet was in town again this evening, and (given the quiz turned out to be off anyway, and the team ended up playing Countdown instead) I was extremely glad I decided to go and see if it was possible to cross the same river twice.

It was!

Highlights included "Hot Corners," where the Kid actually played Simon (the children's "follow the lights" game) on stage, the sun and rain song which included bonus weather symbols, "Green and Pleasant Land"'s cow sound, the two girls in front of us finding his performance (if possible) even funnier than Helen did, and of course his cover of Van Halen's Jump.

I still can't think of words to describe him, or his music. It's a shame that so few people (perhaps 40) came to see the show. It was quite clear that several of these had seen him before - we were all pissing ourselves laughing by about the fourth note he played - and there was a clear dividing line between us and the Carpet virgins who were still staring in abject disbelief by the end of the first song. He'd won them over by the third or so, though, and got everyone joining in providing cold wind sounds for "It's a Bit Windy, Love." How can anyone not love an artist whose songs include lyrics like "I got your love down the front of my shirt, I got your love - and there's a stain on your skirt," "White socks and 'taches make me slightly suspicious," and not forgetting the title of this very post?!

Little can (or should) be said about his support act, Napoleon III, except that he was rubbish, and really ought to have been called Rory McGrath II instead.

0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?